S.E.A.N.I.C.U.S.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Somebody set me up the bomb

After a very productive day getting the podcasting portal even closer to production, Amber (my boss) asked me to come to her office.

Then the bomb exploded. (All my base are belong to them!)

Apparently, my position, which is on a contract basis, can no longer be funded. I have until Friday. :(

Whether this means my podcasting portal will go live or not is still up in the air -- Amber has to talk to her boss, the Dean of Information Systems, to see if we should move forward. Unfortunately, despite the lavish praise bestowed on my work and interpersonal skills by the Dean and various others around the college, if the money's not there, it's not there. I suspect the Dean and Amber will try to find a way to keep me, but until they find it, I've got to pack my bags and try to move on.

Luckily, I haven't spent the time at KCKCC idly, I have greatly increased my experience with Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Linux administration, Apache, lighttpd, and various other peripheral technologies. I hope this will make me more marketable, perhaps to somebody looking for a specifically RoR developer.

I may also try to go freelancing -- luckily there's a KCRUG meeting Wednesday and some of them have experience freelancing, so I'll ask their advice.

The thing that sucks most is that I had become accustomed to the income and regularity of it all. Elizabeth and I had made some plans too, like going to SF this summer -- which may have to be scrapped.

It's all very much up in the air, but I'm hopeful -- I don't have too much reason to be pessimistic yet.