S.E.A.N.I.C.U.S.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A few personal notes

I decided to take the plunge and purchased some hosting from Textdrive this morning, and did a bunch of updates to my DynDNS account. Pretty soon, this blog will go away, in favor of my own site, the soon-to-be-registered seancribbs.com. My reasons for the change are these:
  1. I'm tired of Blogger's slow publishing time.

  2. I want more control over the layout, structure, and style of my blog.

  3. I want to be able to do web applications in a real environment, not just over my pitiful cable modem connection.

  4. Because I can.
The new site will have a template designed by me. Here's a preview. Yeah I know it's cheesy, get over it ;). Lately I have come to love the Franklin Gothic family of TrueType fonts, so if you have them, the site will be gorgeous. If not, you'll have to settle for Tahoma or Verdana. The site will also be running RadiantCMS, for which I intend to add a few modifications, including comments and integration with the Syntax library.

Tonight I'll be giving a presentation during the KCRUG Ruby on Rails workshop, specifically talking about AJAX and RJS with Rails. I'm in the midst of my preparations right now, so wish me luck!

KCKCC has made me an offer for at least a half-year, salaried and with benefits. I haven't decided whether I'll take it yet -- I may want to consult some people who have been in the workforce a bit longer. It's a decent offer, and while I don't want to stay there forever, it might be nice to use that time to improve my skills and get some more projects under my belt.